Garage doors are large, heavy, and complicated; many people who buy them have them installed by the company where they bought them. Whatever you choose to do, a lot of things go into new garage door installation; knowing these things will help make the garage door installation smoother.
The Type of Garage Door
The first thing that goes into installing garage doors is the type you want to use. You can choose from several types of garage doors in Australia. They are the following?
Sectional doors are the most common type of garage door used in a residential setting. (Chamberlain) Also known as panel doors, this type of garage door is made from hinged or horizontal panels that slide up over tracks on the side and put the panels against the roof when the garage door is raised.
Roller Garage Doors
A roller garage door is another common type of garage door in Australia because it is low maintenance and affordable. What makes it even better is that this garage door doesn’t compromise safety.
Roller garage doors have hinges to ensure the door rolls smoothly above the door opening. In addition, it doesn’t need clearance along the garage ceiling. Instead, the clearance should be at the head of the garage opening.
Tilt Garage Doors
Another common garage door type is a tilt door made from a single, solid tilting panel and pivoting arms. This type of garage door opens when its pivoting arms raise the tilting panel upwards and outwards until it rests horizontally against the garage ceiling. For this reason, it’s perfect for homeowners who don’t have much headroom.
Another element that goes into garage door installation is the material you use. Steel is the most common garage door material used, and it’s a key ingredient in construction and infrastructure, which is one of the backbones of the Australian economy. (Australian Steel Institute)
It’s popular due to its durability, flexibility and overall value. Many design options deliver a cheaper, more practical alternative to natural wood. When you choose steel, strengthen it even more with an R-value insulation.
Another garage door material is wood, which is ideal in mild climates. Wood is a more eco-friendly option because it’s a renewable resource. It’s also a good option for homeowners who want a custom and unique look for their homes.
Next is fibreglass, similar to wood, but its difference from wood is that it will not warp, shrink or crack, making it an excellent option in humid climates.
Aluminium and glass garage doors are also an option to achieve a contemporary look. It is lighter than steel, which makes it less durable.
Garage door installers can help you decide which material you should opt for when it comes to your garage door.
You will likely open your garage door 1,500 times every year. Imagine that! So, when it comes to garage door installation, you also need to think of the system involved because this determines the complexity of the project. Here are some of the vital elements that go into your garage door’s system:
- Springs: Many garage doors come with a torsion or extension spring system. However, torsion springs are preferred because of their excellent quality and safety. Torsion springs are massive springs installed at the top of the new garage door that opens and closes the door. Extension springs are two springs found on both sides of the hare door.
- Cables: The cables are vital to the overall garage door system; without them, the springs won’t be able to lift and lower the garage door. The cables used for this are made from braided steel wires. When it comes to the thickness of the cables, they vary depending on the size and weight of your door.
- Tracks: These horizontal and vertical tracks assist with movement. With thicker steel tracks, your garage door can better support the weight of the door and will also keep it from bending and warping.
- Rollers: Rollers allow the new garage door to move along the track, and they are important in your garage door operations, so they should be lubricated properly at all times.
- Reinforced struts: These support the door’s weight for an extended period.
- Weatherstripping: This can be found between the door sections and is responsible for maintaining insulation and energy efficiency. Additionally, it helps prevent exterior elements from entering the garage.
Knowing these garage door system parts is important during installation.
The Garage Door Opener
A garage door opener allows you to open your garage door with just a click of a button. It’s very convenient, which is why it’s something worth considering when installing a garage door. So, a garage door opener is also an important element that goes into the whole installation process. Here are a few things you need to know:
- Horsepower: The garage door opener’s horsepower is important when buying a garage door opener. What you choose will depend on the size of your door. For example, 1/3 horsepower is suitable for aluminium and steel doors.
- Smart technology: Smart technology will enable you to control your garage door via a mobile device.
- Cost: The cost of your garage door will vary depending on how sophisticated the model is, along with the features that it comes with.
- Quality: When buying a garage door opener, look for one with an RCM logo, which indicates that the opener meets Australian safety standards.
- Accessories: There are other accessories you can get with your garage door openers, such as photoelectric beams, wireless keypads, emergency key releases, electronic key switches, and more.
Do you want to add windows to your garage doors? In fact, we encourage adding windows to let in some natural light into your garage. In addition to this, windows add to your home’s curb appeal.
A garage door replacement project is the number one project with the highest recoup value for homeowners in Australia. (Remodeling, 2021)
So, if you’re thinking of adding windows to your garage door, you need to consider the size of the door. Whilst window inserts can add that extra oomph to your door; you need to consider the door size first.
In addition, there are plenty of window designs you can choose from. Choose one that will complement the style of your garage door.
Insulation is important in garage doors because it delivers an extra layer of protection and durability. With an insulated garage door, it can maintain a consistent temperature that will save you money on energy bills.
In addition, the energy efficiency is better for the environment whilst it protects your garage and valuables from break-ins and outdoor elements.
Ensure that the insulation material you use meets Australian Standard AS/NZS 4859, Materials for the thermal insulation of buildings. (YourHome)
Also, did you know that garage door insulation can also make the operation of your garage doors a lot quieter? This is all because of the extra padding and strength delivered by the insulation, which also means you don’t need to worry about any jarring noises as you enter or leave your home. To add to this, the silent operation will also let you identify any issues with your chains, rollers, hinges or springs.
Building permit requirements vary from state to state, but most of the time, at least one permit is necessary with new home installations or renovations. (CodeHQ, 2019) Basically, you need a permit for any new openings being made to your home. However, a permit may no longer be necessary if there is already an opening.
Another important thing that goes into a garage door installation is the cost. The cost of a garage door depends on the type of garage door you choose to install.
For example, a single sectional door’s average cost, including installation, is between $860-$1,900. Whilst a single roller door will cost you approximately $600-$1,370. (Hipages, 2021)
Before paying for a garage door installation, you must also consider how long you plan to stay on the property. Of course, should you plan to stay there for the long haul, then a great choice will be to invest in the highest-quality garage door and installation to ensure that it will last for a long time.
On the other hand, purchasing a premium garage door doesn’t make sense if you think you will leave the property in one to two years.
Who Can Install a Garage Door?
The best thing to do when you have plans to install a garage door is to have professionals do it. On the other hand, some people choose to DIY this procedure. Either way, a proper installation of a new garage door is vital as this will ensure that all parts will function properly and safely.
In addition, for automatic garage doors, certain standards must be met. Ideally, garage door installation is a two-person job because of the size and weight of garage doors.
Can You DIY Garage Door Installation?
If you know your tools and have a construction industry background, you could DIY garage door installation. Still, you will need help because the door is heavy, and it should be installed perfectly; otherwise, it won’t operate well.
This is the reason we recommend hiring professional installers because they can get the job done quickly.
Should You Go for Custom Garage Doors?
There are different reasons homeowners choose to have their garage doors customised. One may be to add more security features that you wouldn’t normally get with a standard garage door. A custom garage door ensures every aspect is handpicked for you, which ensures fit and operation are more secure.
Another reason is aesthetics. How your garage door is designed and customised will ensure your garage door matches the style that you want for your home.
There is also longevity, in which custom garage doors tend to last longer than traditional or standard ones. Whatever the reason may be, you have the choice to have your garage door customised or go for a standard one—either way, knowing what goes into the whole installation process will help you determine which option is best for you.
Whether you need garage door installers to assist you in installing a garage door to your home, The Garage Guys can help. Whether you need sectional garage doors, roller doors, tilt doors, and more, we can guarantee an excellent job that will bring in your desired results. Our garage door prices are reasonable, so get in touch with us today.